With the new version 0.5 it’s easy to translate the interface of M.A.R.S. to whatever language you speak! Currently there are English and German locales included, but it was great if we had a lot more! If you want to improve the game simply follow this short how-to!
- First of all (of course you will have done this already) download the game.
- Then, open the folder of M.A.R.S. and search for a file called “English.txt” inside the folder data/locales/.
- Duplicate this file by copy-pasting it inside this folder and rename the copy to YourLanguage.txt! Please avoid special characters in this name, because otherwise M.A.R.S. will get into trouble when loading the file. Simply use “Francais” instead of “Français”.
- Open this newly created file with a text editor of your choice. Under Windows this might be Wordpad, under Linux VI, Gedit or Kate or something you like even more!
- Now, the creative part begins: Look at the content of this file! Each line begins with an unique number, followed by an english line of text. Translate them all to your language! (here you can use special characters)
- //comments are ignored by M.A.R.S., you can use them to separate the file into parts to make things clearer
- When you are done, save the file. Everything should go fine, when you copied the file before. If the file was created manually, be sure to encode it with UTF-8.
- When you launch M.A.R.S. right now, your language should be selectable in the options menu!
- If you are satisfied with the result, please post a link to your new locale file in a comment or send it to us via e-mail: email@example.com! Of course, your name will be mentioned in the Credits!
EDIT: There is a list of all current translations!